Friday, October 7, 2011

Hol' Up! Hol' Up! Hol' Up! Woah Der!!

Ok, before anyone says anything about this change up, I’m not trying to say that childhood obesity is not a problem in America. It is a major problem and I made that argument in the first research proposal. But I’m here now to say that I am changing my research question in order to fully engage in a more serious topic that directly affects me as a person and student.

I want to research the effects of overexposure to video games. There are a ton of people that play video games in the world and with internet play (playing video games with other people in a different area over the internet) becoming popular, more and more people are beginning to play video games. The problem arrives when gamers choose to indulge in too much game play. We all know that video game are fun and are very good stress reducers, but if a gamer is spending too much time playing the game, could it have an impact on that person’s thinking? This topic is something that I deal with personally. I can honestly say that I play my Xbox 360 entirely too much, and over the course of my life so far, I have played video games too much. Anytime a new video game came out, I got it and stayed up the entire night playing it. I don’t feel like something is wrong with doing that, but maybe the research that I do can uncover some things that I don’t see, or can’t see. This issue affects me currently because I am a student now. Before, I could stay up as late as I wanted to without worrying about the consequences of not getting enough sleep. Now that I’m a student, I have to limit my game play which is kind of hard sometimes.
I already know that overexposure to anything is not always a good thing (too much food, too much time, too much weight, too much to drink, etc.). Video games are fun, but they are not excluded from examples like these. Also, I know that staring at an object for a long period of time can lead to eye complications, and sitting in one place for a long period of time can lead to posture and/or joint complications. As an avid gamer, I don’t have (to my current knowledge) any problems that I can link to overexposure to video games. But, like I said before, there could be an underlining problem that I can’t see. I will say that I have developed bags under my eyes, and I believe that is due to the lack of sleep during my high school years (during the same time, the Grand Theft Auto games became popular).
There are three questions that I want to answer with this research project. Is overexposure to video games harmful to your physical health? Can overexposure damage your mental health? Can overexposure be managed into one’s everyday life? In addition to those questions, could there be any good that comes out of overexposure to video games? Is there some kind of hidden health benefit to playing video games over a long period of time? I know the internet is the main source of information when it comes to research. I will use all of the major search engines to try to answer these questions so that the reader can fully understand all sides of this topic.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of this proposal. There are many health effects of video games, children that sit in fron of the television for HOURS playing video games are the ones that are more likely to be obese. You could maybe argue that videogames can cause childhood obesity so you're still using the video games and childhood obesity as your topics of discussion.

    ReplyDelete