Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Sign of Social Inequality?...Maybe.

Social inequality is something that is ever-present in today's society. You could take a look in any aspect of society and find situations, opportunities, and/or outcomes unequal. I was on the job the other day and a thought came to me; I wondered why I didn't have to follow a policy that I previously followed at another store. First off, I am from Fayetteville, NC and I commute back and forth to UNCP (which also happens to be the greatest school in the universe). Working in Fayetteville and attending UNCP wasn't going to work for me, so I found it better to transfer to a store in Lumberton, NC. In Fayetteville, I worked at "Store X" and knew the policies very well. When I made my transfer to "Store C" (located in Lumberton), I noticed that things were a little different. Obviously, there cannot be the same set of rules for every store, but for the most part, you have the same basic polices and procedures for everyday business. One specific policy at "Store X" stated that if a checkout lane contained two or more customers, an employee should take the time out to open another checkout lane. This move seems courteous right? Well, this polite and respectful gesture is not included in the policy at "Store C." Let's suppose that on the same day, these two stores make the same amount of money. "Store C" would have two checkout lanes open while "Store X" would have four. Why is this? Shouldn't every store have this one general, fundamental policy? Aren't all customers supposed to be important? Does someone from Lumberton have to wait while someone from Fayetteville gets waited on? What's the big difference between these two areas? Is one city superior and the other inferior? Is one civilized and the other not so accomplished? Is it a sign of social inequality?...Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment