Monday, August 29, 2011

One of 50.7 Million

Never in my life did I ever expect to be admitted into a hospital. February 13, 2011, I found myself laying in a hospital bed with the flu. I did not have insurance because I thought that I would never need it at my age. I stayed in that hospital room for four days and then I was released. I was later told that I had a really bad case of the flu and I was prescribed some medicine to completely knock it out. A few weeks later, I felt pretty good and I felt that my hospital bill would not be so high since I did not stay long. My total bill came in the mail: $14,784.92. I could not believe what I just saw. I wondered to myself; who in the world has that kind of money just laying around? Obviously not me.

My medical bill led me to do a little research on uninsured Americans. In September 2010, it was found that 50.7 million Americans are uninsured. So, there's a lot of people that are just like me. Then I wondered why the bill was so high. I saw how they ran every test known to man and sea monkeys to figure out what was wrong with me. The point is that everything has to deal with money in some kind of way and hospitals are no different. The average hospital bill will run about $1,300, but the cost generally depends on if the patient is insured or not, whether the patient arrived at the hospital by ambulance, and/or if they require surgery. All I know is that I owe some people a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment